ClickUP claims that it is “one app to replace them all.” Is that true, and should it be your top choice as a project management software solution? We will help you figure that out by looking at ClickUP’s features, pricing, and pros and cons.
You can also view our list of the Best Project Management Tools for Developers for more project management solutions.
What Is ClickUP?
ClickUP is a project management tool that is based in the cloud. It lets you plan, track, and manage projects, chat and collaborate with other team members, view work progress, set goals, etc., all in one place. In doing so, ClickUP can streamline your projects and save time from having to constantly switch between apps to complete tasks.
While ClickUP has way too many features to list here, let us take a look at some of its highlights and main selling points.
ClickUP has a robust task management tool that can be customized to fit your development team’s unique needs. It has over 35 “ClickApps” to customize your task management for any project. Whether you want to add custom field data, assign sprint points, share screen recordings, set daily or weekly reminders, or save time with automations, etc., you can do it all here.
You can increase your development team’s chances of hitting its targets with ClickUP’s Goals feature. Use it to track progress with different monetary, number, and true/false targets. Create weekly sales targets or sprint targets. Set deadlines for your goals and control who can access them via manageable and editable permissions. And to see which team members are excelling the most, you can use weekly scorecards to monitor employee progress.
ClickUP boosts collaboration by putting your docs and work all in one place. You can create eye-catching wikis, docs, and user guides and connect them to your workflows to start tackling tasks with your team. Make edits, assign action items, leave comments, tag users, and view updates in real-time. You can format documents to fit varying needs, such as roadmaps, knowledge bases, etc., by adding tables, embedding bookmarks, and more. And to ensure no ideas get forgotten or go to waste, you can convert text into trackable tasks.
Docs in ClickUP can be categorized for fast access and searchability. They are also secure since the software has privacy and edit controls to protect your docs. Share what you want with whom you want via public, guest, and team permissions.
There is no need to communicate via various apps, as ClickUP offers real-time chat channels. Assign comments to tackle action items. Add team members to conversations with @mentions. Embed spreadsheets, webpages, videos, and more alongside conversations for quick access. Share links and files. Plus, format your messages with bulleted lists, banners, and code blocks for clarity. All of this and more is possible through ClickUP’s chat feature.
While ClickUP could technically give you everything your team needs to boost efficiency and productivity right out of the box, you can extend its functionality even more with integrations. ClickUP integrates with over 1,000 tools at no extra cost, so you can truly make the most out of the project management software and have everything you need in one place.
ClickUP’s integrations include:
- Amazon Alexa
- Google Assistant
- Google Calendars
- Google Drive
- Google Sheets
- Microsoft Teams
If you used another project management app previously, you can easily bring everything over to ClickUP with just a few clicks through its automatic import feature. For instance, if Asana (Read our Asana Review) was your PM software of choice, you can use automatic import to bring over its users, projects, task details, etc., without starting from scratch. You can do the same with these project management software solutions too:
How Much Does ClickUP Cost?
ClickUP users have five pricing plans to choose from. The premium plans are billed on a monthly or yearly basis. Choose the yearly plans, and you can save 45 percent.
The Free Forever plan is meant for personal use. It offers 100 MB of storage, unlimited tasks and free plan members, whiteboards, chat, Kanban boards, sprint management, native time, tracking, in-app video recording, and more. The Free plan also comes with 24/7 support.
The Unlimited plan is best for small teams and costs $9 per member per month if you choose to skip the yearly payment option. It comes with everything the Free Forever plan offers, plus unlimited storage, integrations, dashboards, Gantt charts, and custom fields. You also get form views, Agile reporting, resource management, and other perks.
The Business plan is geared toward mid-sized teams. It has everything you see in the Unlimited plan, plus custom exporting, Google SSO, workload management, timelines, mind maps, advanced time tracking, automations, and public sharing, plus more for $19 per member per month.
Business Plus costs $29 per member per month and is designed for multiple teams. It has everything the previous plans offer, along with custom role creation and permissions, increased automations and API, team sharing, subtasks in multiple lists, an admin training webinar, and priority support.
Lastly is the Enterprise plan for large software development teams that offers unlimited custom roles, advanced permissions, white labeling, enterprise API, default personal views, access to managed services, live onboarding training, and a dedicated success manager. You will need to contact ClickUP directly to get pricing for this plan.
ClickUP Pros And Cons
ClickUP excels in many areas. But like most things, it has its downsides too. Here are ClickUP’s pros and cons.
- Superb collaborative features – If a development team cannot communicate effectively, they will likely fail. Luckily, ClickUP shines in terms of collaboration thanks to its features that can help teams of all sizes. Use it to chat, email, edit and share documents, and more so you never miss an important detail or forget to share a critical idea.
- Highly customizable – ClickUP lets you personalize its dashboard to fit your needs and not the other way around. With over 50 widget variations, you can create a truly customized dashboard that you will look forward to working with daily.
- Real-time reports – ClickUP offers a wide variety of reports to help you gain insight into where your team stands and where it needs to be. View time estimates, what is being worked on, who is behind and ahead, and so on.
- Time tracking – Is your team making the most of its time? ClickUP helps you figure that out via time tracking tools that let you set estimates, view reports, mark billable time, and more.
- Various views – ClickUP offers over 15 views to fit your needs, including calendar, box, mind map, and Gantt view, among others.
- Solid mobile app – You will be hard-pressed to find project management software with a more responsive or user-friendly mobile app than ClickUP.
- Fair pricing – The Free Forever plan is quite robust, and ClickUP’s other offerings can easily fit budgets of varying sizes.
- Not for beginners – Team members new to PM software may find ClickUP challenging to master from the start. It has a host of features that can take a while to find, and while good for advanced users, the customization capabilities may feel overwhelming for some.
- Training is necessary – Your team will probably not be able to jump into ClickUP and get to work within minutes. Instead, they will likely need some training time and onboarding with the software to get comfortable. Be prepared to set aside plenty of time for the setup process, as it involves entering tons of details.
ClickUP: The Verdict
If you are looking for PM software that is filled with features and highly customizable, you cannot go wrong with ClickUP. If you can get past its onboarding and the need to get your feet wet before enjoying all of its features, you should be quite happy with picking ClickUP for your project management needs.
Looking for other project management software options? Check out our Project Management Software for Developers: Complete Guide.