Every year, Mary Meeker from Kleiner Perkins releases a highly anticipated research report on the state of the Internet. This year’s full report has more than 164 slides, but here are some of the key takeaways for developers:
- Tablet shipments increased 53 percent last year.
- One quarter of Web usage occurs on mobile devices.
- Internet advertising revenue climbed 16 percent in 2013.
- One-fifth of the average person’s media time is spent with a mobile device.
- 68 percent of the money made on mobile comes from app purchases.
- Users want single-purpose apps.
- Cloud computing has lowered costs for startups.
- International mobile users, especially those in China, are a huge potential market.