August 18, 2018
Hot Topics:

Customising Your Setup - Part 2

• November 19, 2002
  • By Dax Pandhi
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

Hello there!

There's the astonishing thing about human nature or should I say programmer nature that once you give someone a bit of excitement, they suddenly want more!

Hopefully that's what happened when you read the first part of my setup tutorial and due to the wonderful response, I decided to put together all your wildest fantasies come true Part Two!

Last time we created a variation of the default setup program with VB 6. This time around, we're going to add even more features, with the visual interface hitting an all-time high and functionality blasting through the roof, bringing shame on the likes of Visual Installer that ships with VB Service Pack 4.

<Dax suddenly notices the Microsoft lawsuit proceedings in his Inbox and decides to withdraw all previously made comments>

Intrigued? Well, let's look at what we're going to accomplish in this article...

Firstly, we'll enhance some existing setup dialogues, making them even brighter than before. Next, we'll perform a little editing to launch sub-setup programs, such as installing MS Agent and such. And to top it all off, we'll implement the "Function Bank", a truckload of neat, commented functions you'll find indispensable plus we'll even demonstrate how to use a couple of 'em!

Well, now I'm sure you're intrigued... enchanted even! ;)

<Ed: That's right, Dax. Enchanted. Uhuh.>

After all, if Microsoft made it this good... well, we can make it better! So let's get on with it...

<The Inbox of Dax buzzes and yet another lawsuit falls into his hands>

NOTE: Attention heroic/suicidal programmers. Setup1.exe was tested on Windows 2000 and nothing works!!! Sometime you get an "entry missing" error, sometimes an endless reboot, sometimes horrible crashes. Once it was so bad I had to re-install Win2k all over again! So beware

NOTE: We're using the same project we worked on in Part 1 of 'Customizing Your Setup'! We'll enhance that only! Don't create a new one, otherwise you may not be able to fully complete the work.

Page 1 of 7

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

By submitting your information, you agree that developer.com may send you developer offers via email, phone and text message, as well as email offers about other products and services that developer believes may be of interest to you. developer will process your information in accordance with the Quinstreet Privacy Policy.

Sitemap

Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date