February 24, 2021
Hot Topics:

My Favourite Functions - Part 1

  • By Karl Moore
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

Every now and then, we all stumble across a neat, intrinsic Visual Basic function.

Perhaps you discover a sparkling gem inside that 2000-page programming manual. Or maybe you uncover some little-known feature during a casual stroll through the help files.

Still, no matter how you meet each other, the latest research has found 99.8% of developers go through a five minute function cycle of being "very impressed" to "still quite impressed" to "what was that thing called?".

So, as a result of the findings of that exclusive VB-World commissioned survey, we decided to compile this three-part series dedicated to that 99.8%. Thankfully it was put together by the other 0.2% that managed to keep a record of their cool code findings.

Don't forget that nothing in this series will require you to add extra components to your project. These are all little-known, intrinsic features available to you right now or tiny code snippets that you can easily slot into your project.

The series is split into three separate parts Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced. None of this stuff is difficult indeed, many are simple one-liners but certain features are more suited to particular skill levels.

If you're already well acquainted with Visual Basic, you may want to start at the Intermediate level and work upwards, but again - it all depends on your experience.

I hope you enjoy this special feature and would to thank all the many contributors that have helped make it possible. Credits appear underneath each snippet.

And hey if you've got a cool function you'd like to add, use the Bulletin Board link below!

And don't forget someone famous once said, "Even if on your journey you uncover but one new land, has it not been worth the investment? Yes, for the garden of thy mind now bears another seed upon which one day the sun may shine and the intelligence blossom".

Yeah. Good point.

Note: All functions have been tested to work with Visual Basic versions 5 and 6, unless where stated.

Page 1 of 4

This article was originally published on November 18, 2002

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date