dcsimg
October 23, 2018
Hot Topics:

XML

• November 20, 2002
  • By Sam Huggill
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

OK, so you may have heard about XML, and you may even know what it stands for, but what you need uis a realworld example. During this article I will tell you about a recent project that I worked on, and how XML was useful.

I suppose that I should introduce XML before I dive into any examples. XML stands for Extensible Markup Language and, in a way, it's a bit like HTML. But, unlike HTML that has fixed tags such as <p> and <font> with fixed attributes <font face="Arial"> XML allows you to create your own tags and attributes. In this way you can build a structered data file where the tags and attributes describe that data they contain.

A few weeks ago I was involved in a project where an existing application needed to be upgraded. The existing system worked by gathering a large amount of data, formatting and outputting it to an HTML page.

The problem was that this process took quite a long time, and only produced one HTML page. The idea was to get the program to output the raw data to a structered XML file, and then use a set of XSL files (XML style sheets) to format the data into different HTML pages. And I only had two weeks to do it in!

As you can see, I was having to learn all about XML and XSL and therefore I feel it would be good to share this knowledge.

Page 1 of 6

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

By submitting your information, you agree that developer.com may send you developer offers via email, phone and text message, as well as email offers about other products and services that developer believes may be of interest to you. developer will process your information in accordance with the Quinstreet Privacy Policy.

Sitemap

Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date