Microsoft & .NETVisual BasicBook Review: Learn to Program with Visual Basic 6

Book Review: Learn to Program with Visual Basic 6

Developer.com content and product recommendations are editorially independent. We may make money when you click on links to our partners. Learn More.

Before I opened this book, I thought that it would just be another beginner’s book for Visual Basic. But once inside, I found a mass of useful information. John Smiley’s writing style is original and very effective. He takes you through the book as if he were teaching a class, so you get a great mix of different questions which would have been difficult to explain otherwise. The best thing about this book is that it assumes that you know nothing about Visual Basic. It takes you from knowing nothing to being able to start some basic/intermediate programming very quickly. Even if you know some Visual Basic, this book can still help you because it is organised into logical catagories. Just skim past the bits you know, and read up on the things you don’t.

This book teaches you to build a real world application and gets you used to the Software Development Life Cycle. It teaches you many things that most developers (me included) overlook when they learn a programming language. Even if you don’t want to learn Visual Basic, this book will help you to understand many of the concepts found in other programming languages.

The author says, "I can teach just about everyone to program a computer". With Learn to Program in Visual Basic 6, this is true. Even if you are not computer literate, the book still caters for you. This book is well worth a place on your bookshelf, even if it is just a reference book, because it explains things in such simple and easy to understand terms, that you can’t possibly not learn from it.

Get the Free Newsletter!

Subscribe to Developer Insider for top news, trends & analysis

Latest Posts

Related Stories