August 21, 2018
Hot Topics:

My Favourite Functions - Part 3

• November 19, 2002
  • By Karl Moore
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

VB6 Split Function (VB6 Only)

You can use the Split() function to parse out a string depending on a delimiter.

In other words, using Split(), the string "hello:my:friend" can be broken down into three separate parts and thrown into an array.

Here's an example of its usage:

Dim strTextArray() As StringstrTextArray() = Split("hello:my:friend", ":")MsgBox strTextArray(0)

The last message box displays the first element (0) of the array - "hello". The second and third elements will contain the "my" and "friend" values.

So to use the Split() function, follow this syntax:

ArrayToPutInto() = Split(DelimitedString, Delimiter)

Here are a couple of other functions that might interest readers. Look them up in the help if you're interested:

• Join() - this function does the opposite of Split(). It takes an array and puts it all together into one big string, separated by a specified delimiter
  • Filter() - returns a subset of array information, dependant on criteria
  • -- MiniMonkey from Somewhere Touching the Big Pond.

Non-VB6 Split Function

One of my favourite functions in Visual Basic 6 is Split (see above). But when I moved to my new job in Cape Town, we moved down to version 5, which doesn't support it. So here's my own mini-version of Split:

Private Sub Command1_Click()Dim x() As Variantx() = WordSplit("Hello:my:friend", ":")For i = LBound(x) To UBound(x)MsgBox x(i)Next iEnd SubPublic Function WordSplit(sWords As String, sDelim As String) As VariantDim sTemp As StringDim vWords() As VariantDim n, nCount As IntegernCount = 0sTemp = sWordsDon = InStr(1, sTemp, sDelim)ReDim Preserve vWords(nCount)If n = 0 Then  vWords(nCount) = sTempElse  vWords(nCount) = Left$(sTemp, n)  If Right(vWords(nCount), 1) = sDelim Then    vWords(nCount) = Mid(vWords(nCount), 1, _    Len(vWords(nCount)) - 1)  End If  sTemp = Mid$(sTemp, n + 1)End IfnCount = nCount + 1Loop Until n = 0WordSplit = vWordsEnd Function

-- African Abdul, Cape Town.

Page 4 of 5

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

By submitting your information, you agree that developer.com may send you developer offers via email, phone and text message, as well as email offers about other products and services that developer believes may be of interest to you. developer will process your information in accordance with the Quinstreet Privacy Policy.

Sitemap

Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date