dcsimg
May 25, 2018
Hot Topics:

Life of a VB Programmer

• November 19, 2002
  • By Sam Huggill
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

Well, after spending a long timedeploying the new network system, I have finally finished and most ofthe time the network is running sweetly.

The management finally realised the internet revolution (only a fewyears late!) and decided to set up a dedicated unit to deal with newinternet developments.

For some reason they chose me to head up the group, and I was"given" five other people to work with.

This now means two things: more pay for me and a chance to develop myfavourite kind of applications: internet ones. Due to my Visual Basicknowledge and its RAD capabilities, I can deploy them to create easy touse web ready applications using a combination of ASP, CGI and XML.

Part of my new description is to monitor and report on new and breakinginternet technologies, and, at the moment, that means XML.

Yesterday I had to give a presentation on XML, why it's useful and howit will help us to develop our applications.

Just after a rather mind numbing presentation of about eighty carefullyplanned PowerPoint slides, my boss came up to me and handed me a specfor a new internet application that needed to be deployed with the nextmonth!

After the initial shock I read through the report and realised that itwould involve a number of technologies that I had already looked into:Active Server Pages, CGI scripts, XML and some server side VBprogramming.

In a nutshell, the spec was to design and develop a suite of tools towork together. Based around an SQL server database, a front end ASP/CGIweb site would read the data for internet users to view. Internally, thecompany wanted some content on their intranet that read some data andoutput it to a browser version based HTML page. They also wanted a VBapp to administer the data both for the web and intranet from theirdesktop PCs. And they wanted it in all ready in a months time!

My first reaction was to tell my boss that this was impossible. I saidthat my initial forecast for the time would be at least 4-6 months justfor developing the stuff. Testing and deployment would probably take atleast another month providing there were no major problems.

In a desperate attempt to keep my interest he said that he would getback to the company concerned, and put forward the new purposed timescales.

Later that evening while I was still sitting at my desk (such a sadperson!) I was pondering on how I would do this project. SQL serverseemed to logical choice for the backend database, but the intranetwould be a problem as they only wanted a scaled down version of thedata. Fortunately the presentation I had just done was on XML, a new webtechnology. As I had found out, it's not so much that XML is powerfulbut that XSL, the accompanying style language that makes it very useful.

With these technologies at hand, I set out to make a rough draft of howI would go about doing things:

• Set up a couple of boxes running MTS and SQL Server for the internetbackend
  • Use ADO and ASP with some CGI for the front end web site
  • Deploy a set of XML files to contain the local data and format itusing XSL
  • Write some VB DLLs for the middle tier for the web site
  • Write a couple of quick VB apps that interact with the above DLLs toprovide a simple desktop solution.

Pretty simple you might think? Well, at that point I was almost ready tosay no even if I had several years and unlimited pay to do it. Rightthen my inbox made a sound and I had just received an email from myboss. Good news (apparently), the company had reviewed their spec andhad decided to allow us the time recommendations that I had made, butthey had required to lower the price. As my boss was desperate to makethis new unit a success (it was his initiative in the first place) hewanted to keep this big job.

So, lucky me! At about 9:00 pm I realised that I was falling asleep anddecided to head home, not thinking about the joys of planning tomorrow.

Page 3 of 3

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

By submitting your information, you agree that developer.com may send you developer offers via email, phone and text message, as well as email offers about other products and services that developer believes may be of interest to you. developer will process your information in accordance with the Quinstreet Privacy Policy.

Sitemap | Contact Us

We have made updates to our Privacy Policy to reflect the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation.
Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date