dcsimg
October 20, 2018
Hot Topics:

Visual Basic Database Tutorial - Part 2

• November 20, 2002
  • By Karl Moore
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

My psychologist always tells me to imagine smooth relaxing sands and blue rippling seas, as I unveil the maniacal details of my crazed programming life. And that's just what we'll be doing in this section - except we don't have a couch. Erm, nor an official Institute of Psychology certificate.

But let's just imagine you wanted to talk to your database - perhaps you want to ask it the telephone number of one of the contacts in your table.

Top Tip: Just in case your memory is as useful as the Pope's wedding tackle, don't forget that a field is a 'box' inside a table - numerous fields make up one table. One or more tables make up a database.

In a perfect world, we'd be able to say "What's the telephone number for Johnny Briggs?" - and the computer would reply, "It's 517-000-238, Karl, you stunningly wonderful person".

Welcome to an imperfect world.

In the world of databases, we talk in a language called SQL, or Structured Query Language.

Top Tip: Never call SQL "Structured Query Language", unless you're writing a report - or are called Karl Moore. Phrases like "I'm just writing a lil' bit of SQL" sound much more impressive and are guaranteed to improve your social status.

To pick a random example, a sentence such as "Show me all the contact names" in English, translates into something like "select ContactName from Contacts" in SQL.

Page 2 of 8

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

By submitting your information, you agree that developer.com may send you developer offers via email, phone and text message, as well as email offers about other products and services that developer believes may be of interest to you. developer will process your information in accordance with the Quinstreet Privacy Policy.

Sitemap

Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date