PhoneGap for Mobile Web Development, Page 2
PhoneGap Tools and Mobile Frameworks
While PhoneGap effectively solves both the distribution and application capability dilemmas, you're still on the hook for building the application interface, behavior, and other features. Fortunately, several mature Web-based mobile frameworks are at your disposal, including several of which I've recently covered on Developer.com. I'll highlight a few of these tools along with pointers to useful tutorials here:
- Sencha Touch: The Sencha Touch website includes an excellent tutorial explaining how to use Phonegap in conjunction with Sencha Touch, which you can read here.
- jQuery Mobile: Although only a beta release, the popular jQuery project's mobile variant already offers a powerful mobile development solution. It integrates well with Phonegap, as is evidenced by developer Pete Freitag's excellent set of slides (PDF).
How PhoneGap Interacts with the Mobile APIs
Learning Resources for PhoneGap
PhoneGap is a very active project receiving a great deal of attention.
- Phonegap Google Group: Use the group to interact with and ask questions of other developers
- Phonegap Wiki: Although a bit chaotic at the time of this writing, the Phonegap wiki nonetheless provides a great deal of information about different aspects of project usage.
- Get Inspired: The Phonegap website includes a comprehensive list of impressive applications built using Phonegap, be sure to check this out to get a feel for what's possible.
About the Author
Jason Gilmore -- Contributing Editor, PHP -- is the founder of EasyPHPWebsites.com, and author of the popular book, "Easy PHP Websites with the Zend Framework". Jason is a cofounder and speaker chair of CodeMash, a nonprofit organization tasked with hosting an annual namesake developer's conference, and was a member of the 2008 MySQL Conference speaker selection board.
Originally published on http://www.developer.com.
Page 2 of 2