Utility Libraries for BREW - A String Class, Page 3
BrewString library is extremely competitive in size. What about efficiency?We conducted some tests with 2 compilers and 2 STL implementations (I1 — uses small string optimization, I2 — basic STL model), to see how the differences between the ports affect the results. I1 had the optimization inhibited to make comparisons viable.
- operator+ - see above
- Assignment operator: is largely the same in all the cases
- Copy constructor: BrewString is 20% faster than I1; BrewString is 3 times faster than I2
- Substring: BrewString equals. I1; BrewString is 1.5 times faster than I2;
- partialString : BrewString is 70 times faster than I1; BrewString is 5 times faster than I1 (small string optimization activated)
- find_first_of : BrewString is 1.5 times faster than I1; BrewString is 2 times faster than I2
BrewString proves to have above average results for the minimum possible size, offering a good alternative to STL.
Epilogue -Deferred Improvements
template <typename T = char >class BrewString ;
The <typename T = AECHAR> policy is missing. Addditional optimizations are also possible. If there is interest in further developing and using this library (including using AEChar) please contact the author.
 Scott Meyers - Effective STL; Addison-Wesley, 2001
 Scott Meyers - More Effective C++; Addison-Wesley, 1996
 Herb Sutter - More Exceptional C++; Addison-Wesley, 2001
 STL for eMbedded Visual C++ information page - http://www.syncdata.it/stlce/stlinfo.html
 Symbian OS Guide - http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/v70docs/sdl%5Fv7.0/doc%5Fsource/devguides/ProgLanguages.html#OSGuide%2eProgLanguages
 Dov Bulka, David Mayhew - Efficient C++ ; Addison-Wesley, 2000
 Andrei Alexandrescu: Generic<Programming>: Move Constructors - http://www.cuj.com/experts/2102/alexandr.htm
Downloads: Source Code - 189 kb.
About the Author
Radu Braniste is Director of Technology at Epicad. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #