Migrating from Microsoft Office to OpenOffice.org or StarOffice 9
- Implement a pilot phase.
- Make an inventory of tools and Microsoft Office-dependent solutions.
- Identify documents and macros that are still in use.
- Organize the migration team.
- Convert workflow-critical documents, templates and macros.
- Provide training and support.
The white paper describes three migration scenarios:
- Migrate the entire company at once. This is best for companies with less than a thousand employees.
- Migrate the company workgroup by workgroup. Start with the workgroups that don't need to exchange many documents with other groups.
- Mixed Office environments. OpenOffice.org, StarOffice and Microsoft Office documents are shared two different ways:
- Passive document sharing. Documents are distributed in a common read-only format such as PDF.
- Editable document sharing. Documents are shared and edited in a common format, typically the Microsoft proprietary file format.