September 1, 2014
Hot Topics:
RSS RSS feed Download our iPhone app

Review of ReSize OCX

• November 19, 2002
  • By Karl Moore
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

I remember the day I first realised screen resolution was a problem for programmers.

I'd just finished the final version of my groovy debt collecting package and it was ready to be rolled out to the proposed twenty or so users. And it looked darn cool on my 15 inch, 800 x 600 resolution monitor.

But following the installations, I learned one big programming lesson the hard way—all screens are equal, though some more than others.

You see, when I placed my application on 14 inch, 640 x 400 monitors, a third of my application disappeared off the screen. And that made data input a little difficult.

What could I do? Redesign the form? Or perhaps add a load of messy code to manually size my controls?

I opted for the first option and then got earache from the 15" users, complaining they could hardly see the form. So I changed their screen resolution to 640 x 400 also... and then hastily left for early retirement in Outer Mongolia.

Back then, the few widgets that could automatically resize your form for you were exceptionally buggy. Nowadays, automatic resizing whatnots are all the rage.

In this review, I'm checking out ReSize OCX from Larcom & Young, a product that claims it could've helped me sort out my little problem.

Page 1 of 3

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel