December 21, 2014
Hot Topics:

Grid Reviews

• November 19, 2002
  • By Karl Moore
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

Two years ago, I was involved in the creation of a whizzy program to record manufacturing figures. At one point, it was decided the bundled Visual Basic grid should be used. That's where the trouble began.

Midway during development, one picky user decided that typing in a customer ID wasn't very user friendly... how about adding a combo box containing customer names?

Oh great, time to spend half-an-hour typing even more code to figure out which row the user is on and calculate the position of the customer combo box. Then comes the trouble of identifying when the user has finished working with the combo to make it 'disappear' from the grid.

And do you think that silenced the lil' user people? Oh no. Then they complained that when they scrolled down the grid, the combo box they were working with still stayed somewhere on the screen.

Twenty-four hours and five API calls later, I decided it was time to scrap the standard Visual Basic grid. Sure, it might've been better than my previous solution of text box arrays (DOH!)... but it was time for a change.

In this article, I'll be taking a look at the market-leading development grids, most of which promise you the world and guarantee to make problems like mine a thing of the past.

Let's see how they got on...

Page 1 of 6

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel