October 25, 2016
Hot Topics:

• November 19, 2002
  • By Sam Huggill
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

OK, so you may have heard about XML, and you may even know what it stands for, but what you need uis a realworld example. During this article I will tell you about a recent project that I worked on, and how XML was useful.

I suppose that I should introduce XML before I dive into any examples. XML stands for Extensible Markup Language and, in a way, it's a bit like HTML. But, unlike HTML that has fixed tags such as <p> and <font> with fixed attributes <font face="Arial"> XML allows you to create your own tags and attributes. In this way you can build a structered data file where the tags and attributes describe that data they contain.

A few weeks ago I was involved in a project where an existing application needed to be upgraded. The existing system worked by gathering a large amount of data, formatting and outputting it to an HTML page.

The problem was that this process took quite a long time, and only produced one HTML page. The idea was to get the program to output the raw data to a structered XML file, and then use a set of XSL files (XML style sheets) to format the data into different HTML pages. And I only had two weeks to do it in!

As you can see, I was having to learn all about XML and XSL and therefore I feel it would be good to share this knowledge.

Page 1 of 6

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date
Rocket Fuel