July 29, 2014
Hot Topics:
RSS RSS feed Download our iPhone app

The Only Data Access Layer You'll Ever Need?

• December 20, 2006
  • By Paul Kimmel
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

Flexible, Useful Data Access Layer

The data access code shown in this article has proven to be the most flexible and useful DAL I have created to date. It significantly reduces DAL errors for improper connection usage; it separates and speeds up development of the persistence layer of implementation; and it removes a lot of code from business objects. Of course, you can tell that it requires newer technologies such as generics and reflection, but even earlier versions of .NET supported this style of implementation—just use object types instead of generics.

I hope you find the solution useful. Many of you wrote to asked me to write this article, and I suspect some of you may discover some limitations to my solution. Send these to me as well. I am looking forward to your feedback.

About the Author

Paul Kimmel is the VB Today columnist for www.codeguru.com and has written several books on object-oriented programming and .NET. Check out his new book UML DeMystified from McGraw-Hill/Osborne. Paul is a software architect for Tri-State Hospital Supply Corporation. You may contact him for technology questions at pkimmel@softconcepts.com.

If you are interested in joining or sponsoring a .NET Users Group, check out www.glugnet.org.

Copyright © 2006 by Paul T. Kimmel.

Page 5 of 5

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel