Hot Topics:
RSS RSS feed Download our iPhone app

Refactoring VB in Visual Studio 2005

• December 21, 2005
  • By Paul Kimmel
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

Refactoring: Extract Method

One of the most common problems with code is having functions that are too long. Small functions can be reused and more easily re-orchestrated into new behaviors. Long, monolithic functions often can be used only under very tight constraints. To make code more reusable, you can extract chunks of code into named methods. In addition to these named methods being more reusable, the names more clearly explain the purposes of the methods.

To use Extract Method, select a fragment of code that you'd like to convert to a named method, right-click over the selected code, and pick Refactor!|Extract Method. To demonstrate, I use a simple for loop that writes HeartRate to the Console 100 times.

If you have only one available Refactoring, use One Key Refactoring by typing Ctrl+~, which invokes the Refactoring and shows an Action Hint (see Figure 2). Again, move the target picker above or below its current location and press Enter. After pressing Enter, the method PseudoLongMethod and the new extracted method are revised, as shown in Listing 2.

Figure 2: The Currently Available Refactoring and the Action Hint, Extract Method

Listing 2: The Method PseudoLongMethod Is Refactored, Making BunchOfCode a Separate Method

Imports System.ServiceProcess
Public Class WillRefactor
   Private HeartRate As Integer
   Public Property HeartRate1() As Integer
      Get
         Return HeartRate
      End Get
      Set(ByVal value As Integer)
         HeartRate = value
      End Set
   End Property
   Public Sub PseudoLongMethod()
      ' a bunch of code
      BunchOfCode()
   End Sub
   Private Sub BunchOfCode()
      Dim I As Integer
      For I = 1 To 100
         Console.WriteLine(HeartRate)
      Next
   End Sub
End Class

Refactoring: Create Overload

Suppose that BunchOfCode were defined to accept a Count parameter. (Count is used as the upper limit for the loop.) Further suppose that in some cases a default value is known. You can right-click BunchOfCode (see Listing 3) and select Refactor!|Create Overload to create a new method that overloads BunchOfCode and calls the original method with a default value (see Listing 4).

Listing 3: A New Version of Bunch of Code with a Single Parameter

Private Sub BunchOfCode(ByVal count As Integer)
   Dim I As Integer
   For I = 1 To count
   Next
End Sub

Listing 4: The Old and New Overloaded BunchOfCode Method Created by Refactor!

Private Sub BunchOfCode(ByVal count As Integer)
   Dim I As Integer
   For I = 1 To count
   Next
End Sub
Private Sub BunchOfCode()
   Dim lCount As Integer = 0
   BunchOfCode(lCount)
End Sub

Refactored Code Is Good Code

Refactoring is important not because the underlying techniques are all new, but because the techniques are described and the motivation and desired outcomes are clearly state. Refactoring can improve the internal structure without changing the external behavior of existing code. It removes the subjectivity of what is good code and what is less-good code: Refactored code is deemed good, and code that is not Refactored is deemed less good. (Perfect code probably does not exist.)

More important than whether code is good or bad is whether it works. Refactoring increases the likelihood that code will continue to work as it grows and evolves.

About the Author

Paul Kimmel is the VB Today columnist for www.codeguru.com and has written several books on object-oriented programming and .NET. Check out his new book UML DeMystified from McGraw-Hill/Osborne and his upcoming book C# Express for the Professional Programmer from Addison Wesley (Spring 2006). Paul is an architect for Tri-State Hospital Supply Corporation. You may contact him for technology questions at pkimmel@softconcepts.com.

If you are interested in joining or sponsoring a .NET Users Group, check out www.glugnet.org.

Copyright © 2005 by Paul T. Kimmel. All Rights Reserved.

Page 2 of 2

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel