September 21, 2014
Hot Topics:
RSS RSS feed Download our iPhone app

.NET Data Secrets, Part III

• June 2, 2003
  • By Karl Moore
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

Get Microsoft to Write Your Code—Amazing Undocumented SQL Server Tool!

Truth be known, a lot of development work is pretty repetitive stuff. You write a routine once, and then need to write a similar routine for another table. So you copy-and-paste. Ten times. Then you find an error in the original routine and begin editing. Again.

Don't know about you, but I hold my hands up and confess that I've fallen foul of this madness.

But there's one little solution that only a tiny bunch of French developers know about. It's a tool called SQL Server Centric .NET Code Generator, created by a Senior Developer Evangelist at Microsoft France, Pascal Belaud. And the program is a cure for the common code.

Bundled with 150 enterprise templates, it generates stored procedures, three-tier data access classes (including a basic user interface), even documentation—in seconds.

And, with continuous debugging from Microsoft themselves, you can be assured you're working with the neatest code and adopting the latest practices around. And, to keep you up-to-date, Belaud and his team are making constant improvements and post a fresh release every sixty days or so.

How come you've never heard about it? Because it's officially an "unsupported" software tool from Microsoft France. The truth of the matter, however, is that it's the main tool used by Microsoft Consulting Services, the division that implements Microsoft solutions for customers with more than 1,000 base users. Supposedly "normal" developers don't usually get to hear about such power tools.

How can you get your hands on a copy? Surf down to www.microsoft.fr/olymars/webupdate.xml and begin playing with your own copy (see the following figure) in minutes. And yes, to cap it all, it's absolutely free!

A word of warning: whilst amazingly detailed and highly powerful, this program is not always the most user-friendly of developer tools. I'd definitely recommend you download the English tutorial and spend time becoming acquainted with how everything fits together before generating any real-life code.

It'll pay off, no doubt.

My copy of SQL Server Centric .NET Code Generator in action

Next Time

Coming up next time, in Web Service Secrets:

• Five Things You Need to Do Before Publicizing Your Web Service
  • Improving Performance with Easy Caching
  • Adding Google Search to Your Programs
  • View the Real World in Your Application, with TerraServer

Want more? Then check out my new book, VB.NET and ASP.NET Secrets, which hosts full versions of all these, plus many, many more!

See you then!

About the Author

Karl Moore is a technology author living in Yorkshire, England. He runs his own consultancy group, White Cliff Computing Ltd, and is author of two best-selling books exposing the secrets behind Visual Basic .NET. When he's not writing for magazines, speaking at conferences, or making embarrassing mistakes on live radio, Karl enjoys a complete lack of a social life. Check out Karl's newest book, VB.NET and ASP.NET Secrets.

# # #

Page 3 of 3

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel