October 31, 2014
Hot Topics:
RSS RSS feed Download our iPhone app

The Top Twenty Programmer Tips!

• November 19, 2002
  • By Karl Moore
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

When the review copy of Office XP Developer landed on my desk last Tuesday,it sent shivers throughout North Warwickshire. Big thing, it is. And afteropening to find ten installation CDs and three programming manuals, thoseshivers moved to my spine.

It seems the mass of friendly, pastel-coloured marketing material was acunning disguise. This looked just a little in-depth.

I added its installation to my morning agenda. And to say it was a breezewould be a slight understatement. To be specific, a huge understatement.

In fact, if you have the time, its a whopping great massiveunderstatement, Impact font, 8192 points, bold, underlined, printed on a hugesheet of white material, currently being flown from Washington to Texas and thenback again.

Oh yes. You see it took a dozen restarts and double that number of stiffvodkas to get through the standard 310MB installation process even on avirgin Windows 2000 machine.

Still, installation finished - and a quick peruse of the newly designedOffice applications proved relatively impressive.

Aesthetically, the product looks very pleasing. Everything has the VisualStudio.NET feel, cool-looking menus, light non-intrusive toolbars. And despitesome of the features proving a little flaky, I uncovered a bundle of interestingadditions everything from Language Translation in Word through to SpeechRecognition in Excel.

But youre not here to find out about the end-user stuff. You want to know aboutall those new and supercool developer features - so, what fresh programmaticofferings can we find in Office XP Developer?

Page 2 of 7

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel