September 1, 2014
Hot Topics:
RSS RSS feed Download our iPhone app

Jargon Buster

• November 19, 2002
  • By Karl Moore
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

So, you've heard about Visual Studio.NET and VB.NET? Well, this is the juicy part of the .NET strategy that will most likely affect you.

VB.Net is the next version of Visual Basic, scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2002. It's currently in Beta 1 yet is already receiving an amazing amount of attention.

Wrox have just released their first book on the technology. Develop.com are already running courses on it. Entire conferences devoted to the new tools are springing up every few hours.

In short, people are going crazy. Crazier than they were about Visual Basic 6 or 5 or 4, or indeed 3 or 2.

Why? Because VB.NET is the biggest change the Visual Basic language has seen since its launch back on my birthday in 1990.

I don't want to pretend that this is a small change. It brings along with it features that will require a shift in thinking, such as the Object Oriented feature, Inheritance. It brings with it a completely new syntax for all the old built-in functions. It brings with it a 'Common Language Runtime', a chunk of code that all the Visual Studio.NET applications will reference and work with.

In brief, it's going to mean change. But that's a good thing and you can read more about it in my VB.Net update here, plus learn how to prepare for the up-and-coming changes here.

Page 3 of 8

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel