August 27, 2014
Hot Topics:
RSS RSS feed Download our iPhone app

Jargon Buster

• November 19, 2002
  • By Karl Moore
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

Let's start off with one buzzword that's been getting a lot of press recently. It's the ever-ambiguous .Net strategy from our favourite software giant, Microsoft.

So what's this all about then? Well, it's simply the master plan behind tools such as the next version of Visual Basic. It's a vision that states where Microsoft want to be in the next few years and how they're going to get there.

And where do they want to be? I'll tell you - in a position where they are creating software that 'drives the Next Generation Internet', yet another strategy that says people should be able to access any information at any time and on any device. And all those devices should be able to freely communicate with one another. And perhaps eventually take over the world, though that hasn't yet been confirmed.

But how are they going to deliver both these and other promises of a more technologically-smooth world?

Billy Gates says there are five key points that will really fulfil the .NET dream (and make him a richer man). First off, the .NET Framework and Visual Studio.NET tools. In other words, the next version of Visual Studio with all its wizzy features and that's the important one for us.

This is followed by server operating systems, the .NET Foundation Services, device software and something called 'targeted user experiences'. Don't look at me, I'm just a lowly editor.

So that's the .Net strategy. But what about this next version of Visual Basic?

Page 2 of 8

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel