Hot Topics:
RSS RSS feed Download our iPhone app

Your VB Career, Page 4

• November 21, 2002
  • By Dax Pandhi, Dax Pandhi
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

Pros for Staying On

If you get a well-respected computing science degree and have a good personality to match - you're well on your way to snatching a cushy job with plenty of security and a hefty pay packet. And you don't miss out on your education.

Cons for Staying On

You lose your freedom for the few years you put into college or further. When you're finished with your education (in programming or such) it will probably be outdated in practical usage. It isn't cheap neither and more and more graduates are now finding it difficult to get positions. Another point - you're an employee, not the boss. Its not your own business, you can't put full leverage on your skills and ideas. Dreams coming true get bound by chains of limitations.

Conclusive Comment

This way, it's almost risk free; get a nice degree, land a cool job, earn good, live well. But then again, you lose the freedom of doing whatever you desire. For example, you dreamed of creating a fascinating business application that could replace the need for 20 employees, but then when you're in a job, you don't get to live out your dream software projects. It's not much if you look at it in realistic terms, but it is safer a lot safer.

Overall Conclusive Comment

Confused? So was I. I spent about 3 months planning whether I should drop out or not. And you should too. Still confused? Wanna hear what a real dude of the world has to say? What follows is a transcript of a speech by Lawrence Ellison, CEO of Oracle and the 2nd richest person on the planet. He gave this speech to the graduating class of Yale University.

Page 4 of 13

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel