October 21, 2014
Hot Topics:
RSS RSS feed Download our iPhone app

Your VB Career

• November 21, 2002
  • By Dax Pandhi
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

In the years of my professional 'era', I've met about 200+ people who are really good programmers but don't know survival in the real world. A very big myth has been implanted in the minds of both the parents and the children "You need a good degree to get a nice job" or rather "You need a good degree to succeed in life".

Heck no!

Okay, so you may need a nice degree to land that executive board level position - but to succeed in life, you can have just a handful of rice and be the next Bill Gates! Of course, I'm not saying your parents are wrong but when they were taught those things, there were no programmers and it wasn't the 21st century.

I don't know if you have noticed it or not, but the industry has changed a LOT in just a year or two. There's not a single thing that is formal anymore, barring business contracts. Business letters tend to start with 'Hi!' rather than a prim-and-proper 'Dear Sir'. CEOs and Chairmen no longer look for BA's, MA's, PhD's they're on the prowl for talent.

That's the keyword here, 'Talent'. Please don't take offence if you do have a nice degree - but in my personal experience, people with degrees - at least in programming - are good at only text book tasks. When faced with a real world problem - well, they just hide under the table and hope for the best. You may not believe it, but for my business needs, I found the BEST of the best right here in the VB-World Forums.

NOTE: When I refer to programming degrees, I am not talking about MCP/MCSD, I'm talking about the MBA, BA, MA, etc. that you may get from a University or college.

NOTE, again: This article is not designed to merely concluded whether dropping out is better than staying in school, but it is meant to help you decide which is perfect for you.

So are you suited to this dropping out lark? Or do you need the degree? Let's weigh up the pros and cons of each

Page 2 of 13

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel