November 21, 2014
Hot Topics:

Visual Basic Database Tutorial - Part 7

• November 19, 2002
  • By Karl Moore
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

So what's to do from here?

If I've inspired you to take your database development skills to the next level, read on. If not, perhaps it's time to backtrack to the advice of tutorial one - move into biology and study subtractive colour mixing. Or become a Welsh sheep farmer. Or something

But if you'd like more, your next step is to start really playing around with database code. Make sure you can retrieve figures from an Access database completely in code without referring to previous tutorials. Then get to know the Access query builder and its various cool uses... don't forget, it's your friend!

Your next stop is to start learning more about the more powerful databases such as SQL Server or ORACLE. As you walk down that road, you'll also bump into 'three-tier architecture' - which is just a fancy word that means splitting an application up into a few different bits, making it easier to maintain.

And if you're really geeky, you'll end up surrounded by inexplicable three-letter acronyms such as MTS, IIS, ASP and MSMQ. Hold on, the latter is a four-letter acronym, but I'll let it pass.

So where can you learn all this? I'd recommend books. I know, I know, it's difficult to find time, blah blah, you have to finish that assignment, blah blah, the toilet needs unblocking, zzzz...

Listen up, if you want to start earning mega-bucks in the world of Visual Basic and databases, it's time to put the needs of your bathroom to one side. Ideally, I'd recommend you purchase the following book:

Author Charles Williams knows what he's talking about and drags you through the ups-and-downs of SQL Server, Structured Query Language, three-tier architectures, classes, reports, data warehousing... and loads more.

If you really are keen on taking your skills to the next level, this is definitely the next step.

Alternatively, here are another couple of other bedtime reads from my bookshelf:

Good solid book based around three major projects. Excellent way to start tinkering and discover the secrets of SQL Server. Also puts a lot of emphasis on proper planning... something I never do... ;-))

Thick 900-page book that covers most of what we've discussed in this tutorial, but in more detail. Actually, about 800 pages more detail. Particularly useful if you're wanting to study more physical database code

Page 4 of 5

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel