dcsimg
December 3, 2016
Hot Topics:

XML

• November 19, 2002
  • By Sam Huggill
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

As you have seen both of these technologies show great promise for the web, but how can we use them for VB? Well, instead of the XML file containing numbers, why not contain Visual Basic code? And, instead of outputting to an HTML file, why not output to a Visual Basic class module?

Using XML you can create smart database classes that work on a database schema. For example, take a look at the following XML document:

<tables>     <table name="people">         <columns>             <column name="id"value="1"/>             <column name="name" value="SamHuggill"/>         </columns>     </table> </table>

This shows a simple database structure that you can use to generate VB code from.

Resources for XML

Here are some useful resources that you should check out:

XT - James Clarks implementation of an XML parser(IE5 comes with one but I think that this is better)

XML Zone - The DevX have set up a web site espically for XML

XML on MSDN - If you're using the XML parser that comes with IE5, you better look here

XML at the W3C - The home of XML and all web related technologies. Check here for the latest developments and the XML/XSL specifications.

Oh well, I am afraid that's about all you're going to get. This article has by no means covered all that you need to know, but hopefully it has shown you why these technologies are useful. Take a look at the resources I have listed and download the zip file which contains a sample XML and XSL document.

Download the files

Page 6 of 6

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date
Rocket Fuel