October 24, 2016
Hot Topics:

A Beginner's Guide to COM Interfaces

• November 16, 2002
  • By Sam Huggill
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

Visual Basic makes using COM Interfaces much much easier then C++. In C++ you have to worry about sorting through a mound of information on GUIDs (Globally Unique IDs) and other complicated procedures and functions. Visual Basic takes care of most of this low level stuff, leaving us to have some fun.

When I first heard of COM, Interfaces and Objects I thought I had just landed on planet mars. And to tell the truth, not many other developers actually really understood these terms. So, I grabbed a copy of Deborah Kurata's award winning book, Doing Objects in MS Visual Basic. This book uses her no jargon style writing to clearly explain object orientated programming, including COM. I suggest you take a look.

At the time, many people were asking why should we use COM Interfaces/Objects? Well, the simple answer is that it saves time. One of the points of object orientated programming is code reuse, and, as I explain our demo project, you will see that it creates reusable class modules.

Page 2 of 6

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date
Rocket Fuel