July 30, 2014
Hot Topics:
RSS RSS feed Download our iPhone app

Visual Basic Tutorial - Part 6

• November 6, 2002
  • By Karl Moore
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

Back in those halcyon days of tutorial number one, we took a look at the Visual Basic basics (forgive the rather obvious pun, if it indeed was a pun). We explored how to start Visual Basic and create a very simple program.

Let's answer a few of your common questions about this tutorial...

Q1. When I started Visual Basic, you told me to choose 'Standard EXE' from the long list of things in the 'New' tab. What do all those others thingies do?

Well put, Son. Those other thingies are all technical thingies that are a bit technical. Thingy.

The standard EXE is the most popular type of application you will want to create. However, Visual Basic also allows you to create other types of files, too. For instance, you can create your own .DLL file that you can "call" from another program. Or you can create an ActiveX control that you can put on your webpage and allow other people to interact with.

But most of the time, you'll simply work with a standard EXE.

Q2. Karl baby! I saw your picture on the Internet and you're a complete love machine. What's your telephone number?

I'm afraid I couldn't possibly publish it here. BT would be so cross if I jammed all their lines. It's on its way to you via e-mail, honey sugar baby sweetcake.

Q3. What's that "Project" window thing all about?

The Project window is usually displayed in the top right hand corner of your VB screen. It allows you to easily select and display a particular component of your project.

So, say you create a new 'Standard EXE'. The project window should display "Project1", with a subfolder called "Forms" containing one form entitled "Form1". That means your project, called Project1, only has one form in it right now - Form1.

Of course, you can change that. You can add more forms to your project. You can even get really geeky and add modules, or even classes. But that's for another day.

In brief, the Project window allows you to see all the bits that make up your project.

Q4. OK, so I've designed my simple program. But how do I make it into an executable? You know, a .EXE?

To make your project into an executable, click on the File menu and select "Make ". That's it!

If you're going to distribute your application to other computers, you'll need to encapsulate it and a few other VB files in a setup program. Don't worry - Visual Basic will do all this for you. Simply choose the "Package and Deployment Wizard" from the Visual Basic folder on the Programs menu. Good luck!

Page 2 of 7

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Rocket Fuel