October 24, 2016
Hot Topics:

VB6 Programmer's Introduction to COM

• November 19, 2002
  • By James Limm
  • Send Email »
  • More Articles »

You will notice that this chapter is short relative to the rest of the chapters in the book. This is because I wanted to provide you a quick primer of what COM is. If you stopped reading this book right now (which you shouldn't), you would at least know what COM is and what it can do for your development.

Specifically, we discussed the concepts behind COM and how we could define it. There are many parts to COM, and it provides us with many services and considerable functionality to solve software problems.

Next, we delved into the history of COM, from its humble roots in OLE 1.0 to its role in Microsoft's Internet strategy. This history helps us to establish how COM came into being and developed into what it is today.

Lastly, we discussed the problems with typical software development and how COM actually helps us to solve these problems. Also, I explained a real-world programming scenario in which the use of COM might be helpful, and we will spend some time in future chapters using COM technologies to solve the not-so-unique problems we uncovered.

At the beginning of the chapter, I mentioned that we were on a journey. At this point, we have made a few steps down the path. Strap your boots on, because we are now heading up the mountain!

Page 12 of 12

Comment and Contribute

(Maximum characters: 1200). You have characters left.

Enterprise Development Update

Don't miss an article. Subscribe to our newsletter below.

Sitemap | Contact Us

Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date
Rocket Fuel