What's New in Android 5.0 Lollipop?
On Wednesday, Google rolled out the latest version of its mobile operating system—Android 5.0 Lollipop—as well as three new devices that run Lollipop. Mobile development pros who download the update will notice a number of changes, including the following:
- A clean, flat, colorful interface known as "Material Design."
- Improved notifications, which users will see on the lock screen or in a floating box when they're using their devices to do other things.
- Better security, including "Factory Reset Protection," which is essentially a kill switch.
- An updated Messenger app that is more like Hangouts.
- Device-sharing capabilities for users who share their phones and tablets with another person.
- A battery saver that can extend battery life by up to 90 minutes.
- Quick setup options, including the option of setting up a new device simply by tapping it on your old one.
- The new ART runtime the provides better application performance
- Support for 64-bit devices and apps.