Survey: Mobile Developers Say Distribution, Monetization Are Key Challenges
A new survey conducted by Vserv.mobi finds that the mobile development industry continues to struggle with app distribution and monetization. Among those surveyed, 84 percent named distribution as a key challenge, and 82 percent said the same about monetization. Other key findings in the survey included the following:
- Almost three-quarters of mobile developers have been in the business less than three years.
- 100 percent of developers with one app, 85 percent of those with two to five apps and 77 percent of those with six to twenty apps make less than $1,000 per month.
- Among developers with more than twenty apps, 42 percent make less than $1,000 per month, 44 percent make $1,001-$10,000, 6 percent make $10,001-$50,000 and 8 percent make more than $50,000.
- 90 percent of app developers are integrating social networking features or plan to do so.
- 68 percent of developers build cross-platform apps; PhoneGap is the most popular cross-platform development tool.