Survey: Android, Mobile Web and Windows Phone Appeal to Developers
In the fight among the various mobile platforms, developers play a key role in determining which platforms will live and which will die. According to VisionMobile's 2011 Developer Economics mobile app developer survey, Android, Windows Phone and the mobile Web are well positioned, despite Apple's early lead in the mobile space. Here are some key findings:
- In the "Developer Mindshare Index," the top three mobile platforms are Android, iOS, and the mobile Web, in that order.
- When asked where they expect to invest in the future, developers ranked Windows Phone second after Android.
- 40 percent of Symbian developers and 35 percent of Java developers plan to stop developing for those platforms.
- The average developer works on 3.2 different platforms.
- 50 percent of developers say they want to work on the platform with the most users, while 25 percent say they want to work on the platform where they can make the most money.
Originally published on http://www.developer.com.