Report: More Than 700 Million Smartphone Users in China
According to analytics firm Umeng, there were more than 700 million smartphones actively being used in China during the fourth quarter of 2013—an increase from 380 million in the first quarter. China first surpassed the United States in smartphone ownership in November of 2011, and the devices have continued to grow in popularity.
Other key takeaways from the Umeng report include the following:
- 41 percent of the people in China who bought smartphones in Q4 of 2013 were first-time buyers.
- 57 percent of the smartphones sold in China last year were Android devices that cost less than $350.
- Chinese users are spending much more time playing "casual" games.
- Chinese developers are beginning to take intellectual property rights more seriously.
- 55 percent of the top 1,000 apps in China link to social media.