IBM's 5 in 5 for 2014
IBM has released its 2014 version of the "Five in Five," an annual roundup of technologies the company believes will be important over the next five years. The predictions often point to areas that will become hotbeds of development activity. This year's "Five in Five" includes the following:
- Smarter Classrooms - Curriculum will become more customized and integrated with monitoring and analytics to meet students' unique needs.
- Smarter Stores - Improvements in augmented reality, wearable computing and location-based technology will transform the way people shop for things.
- Smarter Medicine - Doctors will be able to personalize treatment based on a patient's DNA and information from the latest research.
- Smarter Privacy and Protection - Security systems will gauge a person's activities against their previous actions to determine what is unusual for that person and flag suspect behaviors accordingly.
- Smarter Cities - The Internet of Things and predictive analytics will mash up in ways that make cities better places to live.