App Store Generated $20 Billion for Mobile Development Firms in 2016
Apple has revealed several details about its App Store's recent performance. It said that mobile development firms earned more than $20 billion from the store last year, implying that the total revenue was more than $28.5 billion. That's about 40 percent better than the $20 billion the App Store generated in 2015.
Other key facts included the following:
- App Store sales in China rose 90 percent in 2016.
- Subscription app billing increased 74 percent to hit $2.7 billion last year.
- Jan. 1, 2017 set a record for App Store sales in a single day: $240 million.
- The App Store generated $3 billion in sales over the holidays.
- Super Mario run generated 40 million downloads in its first four days.