Android Captures 86.2% of Smartphone Market, Gartner Says
According to a new report from Gartner, Android captured 86.2 percent of the global mobile market in the second quarter. Android has long dominate globally because of the large number of inexpensive Android smartphones, but Gartner says that sales of premium phones based on Google's mobile development platform rose 6.5 percent last quarter.
Other highlights from the report included the following:
- iOS market share slipped from 14.6 percent last year to 12.9 percent this year, and the market share for Windows fell from 2.5 percent to 0.6 percent.
- Samsung is the leading smartphone manufacturer with 22.3 percent of the market.
- Together, the top five smartphone manufacturers account for 54 percent of the market.
- Sales of feature phones decline 14 percent.
- Smartphone shipments climbed 4.3 percent to 344 million units.