60% of App Developers Make Less than $500 Per Month, Says Vision Mobile
According to Vision Mobile's Q1 Mobile Megatrends 2015 report, 60 percent of mobile developers make less than $500 per month, which Vision Mobile calls the "app poverty line." That's actually a decrease from 67 percent in 2013. Other noteworthy takeaways from the report include the following:
- 15 percent of app developers generate no revenue.
- About 11 percent of mobile development firms generate more than $10,000 in revenue per month, a level considered sustainable.
- 800,000 new people join the mobile development industry each year.
- Only 20 percent of mobile developers target enterprises.
- 53 percent of developers are involved in Internet of Things (IoT) projects.
The report also notes, "App stores alone cannot sustain the developer population. E-commerce is and will stay the winning app revenue model."