10 Reasons Why Developers Should Offer Mobile Apps for Free
It's counterintuitive, but free apps often make more money than paid apps. And mobile development firms launching new apps face an uphill battle if they want users to pay upfront. Matthew David from Compuware Professional Services suggests ten reasons why developers should release their apps for free:
- Single payments do not produce returning revenue.
- If you build it, they will pay (later).
- If your app isn't free, another one will be.
- An initial fee creates a barrier between you and your customer.
- Paid apps give too much away.
- Mobile users try before they buy.
- Revenue from the one-and-done price model is hard to gauge.
- Value-based revenue is even harder to gauge.
- Mobile users also buy as they try.
- Free apps simply reach more people.